Chief tax collector in Jericho who welcomed Jesus into his home and promised to return money he had stolen.zeal
Extreme devotion to a person or cause.
Name of a group of Jews who were very devoted to Israel in New Testament times. One of the two Simons among Jesus' Twelve disciples was a Zealot.Zebedee (* gift of Jehovah)
Father of James and John, two of Jesus' disciples. Zebedee was a fisherman from Galilee.Zechariah
A very common name among the Israelites:Zechariah, book of
• Son of Jeroboam II and fourteenth king of Israel after his father. Zechariah is known only for continuing in the evil ways of his father. He reigned for six months and was assassinated by Shallum.
2 Kings 15:8-12
• An official in Josiah's service and temple supervisor who gave generously to the priests and Levites during Josiah's reforms.
2 Chronicles 35:8
• Israelite prophet during the time of Zerubbabel who wrote the book of Zechariah; son of Berechiah.
• John the Baptist's father; a priest in Jerusalem who doubted the angel's message that his wife Elizabeth would have a baby.
Thirty-eighth book of the Old Testament and eleventh of the minor prophets. The prophecies in the book of Zechariah encourage the Jews who had returned from Exile with visions of the temple and news of the Messiah. The book is famous for its many messianic prophecies. It predicts both the first and second comings of Jesus Christ.Zephaniah (* Jehovah has hidden)
• A priest in Jerusalem at the time of Jeremiah; son of Maaseiah.Zephaniah, book of
Jeremiah 21:1; 37:3
• Prophet who wrote the book of Zephaniah during the reign of Josiah; son of Cushi.
• Two others mentioned only once.
Thirty-sixth book of the Old Testament and ninth of the minor prophets. This book was the last to be written before the Exile of Jews to Babylonia. It urges the people of Judah to return to God and give up the evil ways that Manasseh and Amon had encouraged. Josiah's reform happened at about this time.Zerubbabel (* born at Babel)
Israelite governor of Judah after the Exile; son of Shealael; grandson of Jeholachin. Zerubbabel was a descendant of David from the tribe of Judah. He returned to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple. His story is told in the books of Ezra, Nehemiah, Haggai, and Zechariah.Zion (* Jerusalem)
Ezra 2:1-2;3:2, 8
The term is used of three parts of Jerusalem:Zipporah
• The original fortress or citadel of Jebus; the City of David.
2 Samuel 5:7
• The temple mount in Jerusalem; the place where God lives.
• The entire city of Jerusalem.
Daughter of Jethro who married Moses; mother of Gershom and Eliezer. Zipporah was Midianite. Moses met her while on the run from Pharaoh. Zipporah did not return to Egypt with Moses, but did rejoin him during the Exodus.
/ B / C
/ D / E
/ F / G
/ H /
I / J / K
/ L / M
N/ O / P / Q / R / S / T / U / V / W / X / Y / Z
This page address: